Denver Public Art Summer Tours Return, Expands to DEN
May 22 2017
Denver Public Art tours return for the 2017 summer with new sites, additional architectural focuses, and more tours offered than ever before.
New tour sites include Union Station, Denver International Airport (DEN), and the Denver Public Library/Denver Art Museum campus.
“We are excited to have widened our scope in terms of the variety of public art tours we’re offering this season,” says Denver Public Art Program Administrator Brendan Picker. “Thanks to our dedicated docents, both new and returning, we have about 14 different tours this year, from the classic Cherry Creek Mural and the Downtown Denver Bicycle tours, to the newly added Union Station History and Public Art Tour.”
Denver Public Art and DEN have added airport art tours this summer on Fridays, June 2, July 7 and Aug. 4, noon. This tour will highlight some of the insider secrets and behind-the-scenes stories of the airport’s art collection, one of the largest in the country.
Saturdays, June 10 and 24, July 8 and 22, and Aug. 12 and 26, 10 a.m., bring the new Union Station History and Public Art Tour. This tour will not only explore the art in the newly renovated Union Station, but will highlight some of the history of the building and its surrounding area.
Sundays, June 11 and 25, July 9 and 23, and Aug. 13 and 27 at 10 a.m., Denver Public Art presents the Denver Art Museum and Denver Public Library Campus Public Art and Architecture Tour, covering the broad array of artworks near the Denver Public Library main branch and Denver Art Museum.
Denver Public Art also brings back two bicycle tours: Cherry Creek Trail Urban Arts Fund Bike Tour Sundays, July 16, Aug. 13 and Sept. 10, 3 p.m., and Downtown Denver Public Art Bike Tour Sundays, June 4 and Sept. 10, 10 a.m.
Additional walking tours include:
• Colorado Convention Center Public Art Tour: Sundays, June 4 and 25, and July 16, 2 p.m.
• Burns Park Public Art Tour: Wednesday, July 12, 6 p.m.
• City Park Public Art Tour: Wednesdays, June 14 and July 19, 5:30 p.m.
• Commons Park Public Art Tour: Wednesday, June 21, 5:30 p.m.
• 14th Street Public Art Tour: Tuesdays, May 23, June 27, July 18, Aug. 22 and Sept. 12, 5:30 p.m.
• Civic Center Public Art and History Tour: Wednesday, June 21 and Thursday, Sept. 21, 6 p.m.
• Ellie Caulkins Opera House and Denver Performing Arts Complex Public Art Tour: Sunday, June 4, Saturday, Aug. 12, 10 a.m., and Sundays, July 9 and Sept. 10, 11 a.m.
• RiNo – A Tour of Creative Businesses, Public Art and Murals: Wednesday, Aug. 16, 6 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 19, 3 p.m. and Saturday, Aug. 19, 6 p.m.
Most tours are limited to 15 participants. View the full descriptions and RSVP online.