Events & Programs
Now Accepting Applications for Five Points Jazz Festival Volunteer Coordinator
Volunteer and Festival Coordinator
Job Description: The Volunteer and Festival Coordinator works with the Arts & Venues team to recruit and train volunteers for the Five Points Jazz Festival to take place on May 19, 2018. The Volunteer and Festival Coordinator also supports the coordination and implementation of the festival, reporting to the Strategic Partnerships and Community Programming Specialist.
History of the Festival: The Five Points Jazz Festival, now in its 16th year, brings people together for a day of food, fun and fantastic music. The free festival takes place the third Saturday of May each year and celebrates the history of Denver’s Five Points neighborhood. Once known as the Harlem of the West, Five Points was home to several jazz clubs which played host to many of jazz music’s legends such as Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk and many more. Since its inception in 2004, the Five Points Jazz Festival has grown each year in size and popularity. The one-day festival draws close to 50,000 attendees.
Hours: January through March hours estimated at 5-7 per week. April hours estimated at 10-20 per week. May hours estimated at 40 hours per week. Coordinator would be required to attend monthly meetings January – May. During the festival (Friday, May 18 and Saturday, May 19 all day and Sunday, May 20 morning) the Volunteer and Festival Coordinator will be on site until all tents are removed and festival site is clear of festival debris.
Volunteer and Festival Coordinator Responsibilities:
- Establish all volunteer positions and create job descriptions
- Determine number of needed volunteers per category
- Establish times/shifts needed for volunteers
- Work with A&V marketing department on outreach and recruitment of volunteers
- Establish volunteer registration
- Train volunteers
- Check-in volunteers
- Be on-site point of contact for volunteers
- Maintain volunteer database
- Solicit donations for volunteer appreciation event
- Plan volunteer appreciation event
- Select volunteer leads for each area
- Train and meet regularly with volunteer leads
- Track volunteer retention –Assist with festival base-camp set up and tear-down
- Serve as a point of contact for festival security and festival clean-up when Strategic Partnerships and Community Programming Coordinator is off-site
- Support Strategic Partnerships and Community Programming Specialist on general festival coordination tasks.
Requirements: A minimum of five years of volunteer coordination experience. Ability to lift 50 pounds. Willingness to work long hours (12-15 hours) the day before and the day of the festival. May be the last person to leave festival grounds the day of the festival. Additionally, the selected candidate must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, and database management. A working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel are also necessary. The person selected for this position will train volunteers and must be comfortable with speaking publically. This person must be detail oriented, have a positive attitude and a willingness to work on a team, and the ability to be encouraging and energetic with volunteers. This position requires a flexible schedule to include some evenings and weekends, and additional hours the week of the festival. Experience working with diverse communities.
Application Instructions: Please send your resume and a letter of interest to [email protected] by Jan 22, 2018. Please highlight your qualifications and experience.